Thursday 11 July 2013

Kick off for the RASMIM Project

The RASMIM Project has just started this month of July. RASMIM is a research project funded by the European Commision and awarded with a Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship (IEF) (Call: FP7-PEOPLE-2012-IEF) for Dr. Patricia Acero in Birkbeck College-University of London (London-UK), under the supervision of Dr. Karen Hudson-Edwards.

The aim of the RASMIM project is to shed light on the dissolution of aluminum sulphates formed under acid mine drainage conditions. The release of Al to soils and waters may have severe effects on ecosystems and humans. Therefore, the RASMIM project will contribute to new mine development and to environmental and human health protection. 

With this goal, dissolution experiments using aluminum sulphates will be carried out. The evolution of solids and solutions during dissolution will be monitored using a wide range of cutting-edge mineralogical and geochemical techniques. These observations will be complemented by the development of atomistic computer simulations for the same processes.

The study will generate important data on the mechanisms, products and controls on the dissolution of Al sulphates. The project will provide a better understanding of the relative roles on dissolution of factors such as mineral structure and impurities, surface area, solution pH, composition and temperature or secondary mineral formation, among others.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia!

    Congrats for being financed by Marie Curie in such an interesting research topic!
    I applied last year being rejected. I'm trying to see other bids that were successfully funded as yours. Do you think it is possible for you to send me the Part B of your project in order to study it and follow in order to reach a successful proposal?

    I would mean a lot to me!

    Many thanks and all the best luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bruno,
      First of all, sorry about my late answer to your comment. I was out of the office during August and then when I came back I simply forgot to answer you. I feel very guilty for not having replied to your kind comment. Sorry again.
      I guess that it is too late to help you with this year's call but, if not, please tell me and I will be glad to help you.

      Sorry again and best regards

      Delete